Favorite Books

I swear, I am reading as fast as I can on my current book (hint: an archaeology mystery!) but in the meanwhile, I saw this fun book post from Protege and I wanted to do one too.

I am supposed to list a favorite book in each category of fiction, non-fiction, autobiography, and then any genre.

Fiction: Oooh, this is a hard one - I love all kinds of fiction, and I have so many favorites (including, of course, the Series That Shall Not Be Named). I guess it would be cheating to make a whole list, so I'll go with Louisa May Alcott's Little Women. A classic from childhood, it stayed with me all these years and I still remember the magical experience I had living in the world of the March family.


Non-fiction: A Night to Remember by Walter Lord.

I don't read much non-fiction, but I did read this during the height of my Titanic obsession (which abruptly ended when it was ruined by that awful Leonardo diCRAPio movie). This book was haunting.


Autobiography: Ugh. I hate reading autobiographies. Come to think of it, I don't think I've really read any. Or if I had, I don't remember. Biographies I can do sometimes, but autobiographies just seem so self-important. However, there is one that I've been wanting to read for the past year, but have not yet gotten around to it - Benazir Bhutto's Daughter of Destiny.


Any genre: I was torn between choosing sci-fi or romance, and I think this time around romance has the edge. Night of Sin by Julia Ross is one of the best romance books I've read (and I've read many). The writing was absolutely lovely - lyrical, precise, mesmerizing, elegant. The setting was incredibly lush and the characters endearing. Oh, and teh secks was pretty hot, too.

4 comments:

Alissa said...

Hmmmm...Night of Sin, eh? I've always avoided most romance novels because I always had the image of Fabio with his shirt unbuttoned with some damsel swooning in his arms. Maaaaaybe I could give this a try.

Zuzana said...

I really have to pick up the "Night of Sin", sounds like my kind of a book for sure!

Hazel Designs said...

Alissa, this was a really good book! Definitely non-Fabio! And if you're interested, there are 2 other romance books that are my favorites in addition to this, and are very well written.

Hazel Designs said...

Protege, definitely do! This book was really good. I hope you like it too.