Book Review: Star Trek

by Alan Dean Foster

The novelization of the new Star Trek movie was very well done. Considering how excellent the movie was, I wasn't surprised to hear the book sold out. It closely followed the events in the movie, with some added scenes and explanations of things that occurred but were not shown in the movie (for instance, apparently Jim Kirk had an older brother, who was the boy seen walking along the dirt road in Iowa during the Corvette scene).

I found it interesting that the book opens with Spock's birth, indicating that he's the hero of the story rather than Captain Kirk. The movie version did make me think Spock played more of a central role and was more pivotal to the plot, but despite the fact that Spock opens the book, Kirk was the undisputed hero, appearing in more scenes, his actions and the consequences of his decisions central to the plot. Though I can't decide which version I like better in their treatment of the two characters, I enjoyed both.

I also loved the space-speak, all the language about weaponry and starships. The author was pretty good at making everything sound believable, and bringing us into that world.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

What happened to the old design??? It wiped out all MY information! And a FLOWER? Why not a design that has BOOKS on it?