Tried and True

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

I actually read this book several weeks ago. However, due to the lack of a computer or internet, I haven't been able to post my thoughts on the novel. And since so much time has passed since I read the book (and I've reread several books in between) my exact thoughts are a little fuzzy.

I can say this: this book was good and a much more enjoyable read than I Know This Much is True. And in retrospect, I don't think I Know This Much is True is as well written as I had originally believed.

The main character, Dolores Price, experiences several traumas in her childhood (leaving it vague so you'll take the time to read it) and grows up to be a fat and angry young woman. It is a lot easier to like, or at least sympathize for, the main character. And despite her faults, of which there are plenty, you still root for her. The rest of the novel follows her through her attempts to heal herself and fix her life.

Lamb also has some plot twists that he seem to like to use over and over. Mainly someone being "crazy," sexual assault, the therapy process, family. And it's interesting to me that this novel precedes I Know This Much is True, because he explores each of these themes far better in the eyes of his narrator than in his second novel. It seems as though his recent novel (his third) also explores these themes, which makes me wary of stepping into his work again. Thus far, his first attempt at weaving and exploring those paths have been good, the second alright. I doubt I'll read the third, cause as far as I'm concerned, he's beating a dead horse.

I just can't help but wonder what Wally Lamb has been through in his own life.

1 comments:

Hazel Designs said...

I saw this book on my e-book catalog and was going to ask you if you read it!

I'm still reading my hated David Gibbins book. I would have given it up a long time ago, except I want to give it a bad review here so I'm sucking it up.