REVIEW: Vince Flynn's Extreme Measures

DESCRIPTION:

In the continuation of Vince Flynn's popular Mitch Rapp series, rogue al Qaeda operatives enter the U.S. with the intention of suicide bombing some high-value, low-security targets. Mitch actually plays a backseat to a newish character, family man Mike Nash.

REVIEW:

Although I highly enjoyed this book, I have a feeling that if it weren't for the fact that (a) it had quite a bit of humor in it, and (b) the protagonist ISN'T Mitch Rapp, I'd probably forget about it in another few weeks. As it was, I really, really enjoyed reading about new hero Mike Nash. The touches of family life Flynn included in the book were very entertaining. It really made this particular story stand out and gave the new character of Nash his own distinct identity apart from Mitch.

As for the story itself, it was vintage Flynn through and through. Fast moving and tight, it had great villains and awesome supporting characters. I loved the way he got into the minds of the terrorists and even moreso loved it that the lead female antagonist wasn't a ho (unlike one of Brad Thor's characters). I liked it that she was redeemed in the end. Really enjoyed her story arc.

Speaking of arcs, I was a tad disappointed that Flynn didn't move Mitch's arc any. After his Separation of Power, I've been in constant search for the return of the Donatella Rahn character. Sadly, my wait must continue. I did like it that CIA director Kennedy has become less cool and more flappable with age, though. And that she went out on a date.

I think what I enjoyed most about this novel is the way it presented such a complete picture of what happens in my town, Washington, D.C. Flynn has an amazing eye for detail, from the streets and landmarks in the story, to the way the Senate chambers operate and how the Judiciary Committee meeting room is totally secure. I did not know that.

I'm happy to say that Flynn, unlike Brockmann and Thor, did not disappoint and continue to be on my AutoBuy list. Extreme Measures dazzled and, more importantly, entertained.

KARMELA RATING SYSTEM (out of 4):

1 comments:

Hazel Designs said...

Hmm, new hero besides Mitch? That's interesting.